Access and privileges
Who can access Stanford Libraries?
Some library spaces are open. To comply with safety guidelines, we can only permit a limited number of people in these spaces and hours have been reduced. You will need an appointment to visit Special Collections.
Library access is available for the following Stanford Campus ID Card holders only:
- Faculty, students, and staff
- Fellows, postdocs
- University visiting scholars
- Some courtesy card holders
In order to visit the library, you must:
- Have approval to be on campus in the academic zone and follow all the protocols required for campus visits.
- Complete the COVID-19 Hygiene Best Practices, EHS-2470-WEB in STARS.
- Complete COVID-19 surveillance testing each week you are planning to visit a library location, as required by university policy. Please reference these testing instruction links for faculty, staff, and postdocs and for students.
- Complete the Stanford Health Check Tool to self-report your health status. You may be asked to display your Health Check Tool status.
- Do not come to the library if you are sick or feel unwell.
- Do not come to the library if you are under self-isolation orders by the university or a medical professional.
- Adhere to safety guidelines while in the library:
- Wear a face covering at all times.
- Follow signs for queue instructions.
- Adhere to six-feet physical distancing guidelines.
- Do not attempt to use group study rooms that are posted as closed.
- Do not move chairs or other furniture that are positioned for physical distancing guidelines.
Library access is temporarily suspended for the following groups:
- Stanford Alumni
- Hospital clinicians and staff
- Continuing Studies
- Summer program participants
- Short-term visiting scholars
- Reciprocal program participants:
- RLCP (Stanford/UC Berkeley)
- RSP (Stanford/UC schools)
- BorrowDirect and BorrowDirect Plus (Stanford/Ivies + Chicago & Duke)
- Fee-based library cardholders
For more information, contact Privileges.